Lilium and Bulb Society of SA Minutes 7th September 2016
Meeting Commenced at 7.30pm
Welcome to Cameron Alderdice, Bronwyn Bean and her daughter Tae, Amanda Coppins and Oriana Williams and 24 members.
Apologies: F Dolan, L Demaagd, R Field, M Greig, L Ng, A Ruckert, C Thomas, W Wilson.
Guest Speaker Ian Williams - snakes.
Minutes of the meeting held on 3rd August - Moved B Field, seconded T Riechers ‘That minutes as emailed be accepted’ carried.
Show photographic competition Open Triptych photos can be edited. Updated rules are on the website. See Kate O’Brien for entry forms. Entries to be handed in at the November meeting.
- Garden Clubs of Aust. 2017 calendar and order form. Calendars are $10 each to purchase.
- South Australian Iris Society Annual Show 22nd and 23rd October, Goodwood Community Centre. 11am – 5pm and 10am – 4pm.
- Invitation to a weekend with Barry Blyth Iris breeder at the Sporting Car Club of SA.
- Geranium and Pelargonium Society Show, Payneham Library Complex, corner of OG Road and Turner St. 15th and 16th October 10am – 4pm.
- Open Garden ‘Baroona’ 43 5th Ave St Peters. 15th and 16th October in aid of Children’s charity Variety.
- Reminder - Enfield Horticultural Society Inc Spring Show. Klemzig Community Hall Sat 10th Sept 12 – 5pm, Sun 11th 10 to 4pm.
: in Minute book, moved M Jenkins, seconded R Fairweather ‘That report be accepted and accounts paid’. Carried
Membership fees are still due - $15 single and $22.50 couple.Stirling Market Report
– Barb Field. Attached.Webmaster’s report
: No major changes, still working on making site mobile friendly. Photos of blooms for show sales are on site but need names. Please contact Rob when you have bulbs blooming that can be used for sales in the future so he can photograph them.New business
Phil Schluter died on 8th August. The Lilium and Bulb Society through Barb Field provided the flowers to put on his coffin.
AGM nominations for Secretary and committee positions needed for AGM next meeting.Show
Plants for consignment sale at Show. Requirements will be emailed out. Bulbs must be delivered to Nancye by the December meeting at the latest.
Bulb planting day – Greg Lawrence will advise a suitable day.
Show schedules will be distributed at November meeting. Please attend to pick up your schedule as postage is now exorbitant and unreliable.
Royal Show stall – Barb Field helped staff the Iris Society’s stall and was pleased with the interest shown. She would like to have a Lilium and Bulb Society stand. This will be discussed at a committee meeting.Show and Tell
Greg Lawrence had a box of seedling daffodils in bloom. This is the 8th yearsince planting and most are blooming for the first time. A few bloomed last year.
Multiple crosses using ones with small bright red cups.Judging club table
Please do not approach tables until judging is completed.
There was a lovely display of daffodils, tulips and other bulbs in class 2. Judges Kate and Murray divided the class into daffodils, tulips and others and chose the best from each section before allocating places. Potted plants were also quite spectacular with some quite rare ones on display.Results
- Class 2 Bulb not a lilium – 1st M Jenkins daffodil, 2nd S Stokes pink tulip, 3rd M Jenkins Velthemia bracteate.
- Class 3 rhizome – 1st Lynn Elzinga-Henry Iris germanica. Class 4 tuber – 1st and second K Dellar White arums, 3rd M Jenkins Arum aethiopicum ‘White Dwarf’.
- Class 6 Any other garden bloom – 1st Dorothy Whitrod, 2nd Pat Simpson Hellebore, 3rd H Fairweather Acacia glaucoptoea.
- Class 7 Potted corm – 1st Alan O’Leary Gladiolus virescens, 2nd and 3rd G Ruckert Sparaxis grandiflora acutiloba and Gladiolus spendens.
- Class 7 Potted bulb – 1st A O’Leary Clivia nakamura multipetal, 2nd G Ruckert Lachenalia orthopetala, 3rd A O’Leary Velthemia bracteata peach.
- Champion exhibit A O’Leary Gladiolus virescens.
Raffle and SupperNext meeting October 5th AGM
- Speakers Greg Ruckert, Rob Fairweather and Jamus Stonor present ‘Through the Lens’ – tips to take better photos.
Supper convenors Suzanne Freeman and Lynn Elzinga-Henry.
Meeting closed 9.35pm.Report on Lilium and Bulb Society stall at Stirling Market 28/8/16
In dry & mostly sunny weather, the colourful display caught the eye & interest of many passers-by.
In the display, along with the more common early spring bulbs was a gorgeous pot of yellow sparaxis, a number of different daffodils & the fragrant hyacinths were popular to smell.
Several beautiful pots of species lachenalias in various shades, grown by Greg Ruckert, were the most frequently admired as well as the pots of dainty vibrant cyclamen sent by David Barrington which could have been sold many times over!!
We frequently explained that we were a display only – for publicity & membership.
The busiest time is always between 10 & 12midday.
Names of 13 people who are interested in coming to a meeting to see what happens, were recorded– some are unable to come for a few months – but we feel that there are a few who may commit to joining.
We were well-manned across the day & thanks to the following members for helping:-
Greg Ruckert – all day
Christine & Colin Pitman
In conclusion, the stall was well-presented & it was a worthwhile exercise in publicity for our club.
Barb Field - convener